[openbox] man openbox

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 15:13:19 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Dana Jansens <dana at orodu.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Dana Jansens <dana at orodu.net> wrote:
>>

>> So, the current version of openbox-session just sets the environment
>> and then execs the openbox binary, which sets itself as wm and then
>> executes "/usr/lib/openbox/openbox-autostart OPENBOX" or whatever is
>> passed to it via --startup. Is there any other "proper startup stuff "
>> that must be done _before_  executing openbox-autostart? Am I right to
>> assume that initialization stuff like xmodmap, screensaver stuff, etc
>> is done at the --startup phase? (I seem to remember some stuff in
>
> Stuff you want to affect openbox should go in environment setup,
> before openbox is run.  xmodmap likely falls in this category.

I'm not sure I understand this one. By "environment" I meant
environment variables. In my setup, they are set by envdir, which
execs openbox, so that openbox inherits a proper environment, which it
will pass to its children, assuming that the openbox binary itself
does not modify the environment.

>> autostart.sh needed a "sleep 1" to give time for ob to start. Is this
>> issue obsolete now?)
>
> That's the idea entirely.

This is Good News. It seems a cleaner and nice  design. If I
understood correctly, we start an openbox launcher (openbox-session or
other) from a display manager (or from xinit), the launcher sets
environment variables, then starts openbox. The latter does its thing
with the X server and does its wm initializing, then executes a
program of our choice, and when this program returns it starts
accepting input from the user. Is this picture right?

J.A.