[openbox] Chromium Browser - xdg issue

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Mon Sep 26 18:06:12 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 16:00, Robert Orzanna <orschiro at googlemail.com>wrote:

> So, when I use the xdg-open hack I would need my own xdg-open to
> symlink to /usr/bin/xdg-open, right?
>
> To the use of mimeo:
>
> I already tried it but I couldn't figure out any ways to define a
> working mimetype handling with it.
>
> Can you give me an example?
>
> Robert.
>
> 2011/9/26 Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net>:
> >

> > On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 17:59, Robert Orzanna <orschiro at googlemail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> How must that local xdg-open script look like?
> >>
> >> But I'm still very unhappy with such a solution. I rather want to
> >> understand why I encounter this problem of defining chromium-browser
> >> as default browser with xdg.
> >>
> >> Robert.

> >> In the worst case you can make a script called xdg-open in your path,
> >> that runs its parameters in chromium.

> > I noticed you've discussed the topic on the arch linux forums (I didn't
> read
> > the forum thread) so I have some suggestions. If you're using Arch try
> > installing mimeo ( https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=32911 )
> from
> > the AUR. It allows one to set their defualt mime types in desktop files
> > located in the  ~/.local/share/applications or ~/.local/share/mime
> folders
> > in your home directory. xdg-open uses desktop configuration files stored
> in
> > /usr/share/applications (at least on Arch) to determine which program to
> use
> > for a specific mime type. For zim there is an options in the preferences
> > dialog under applications to set up your file browser, web browser, email
> > client, and text editor. It comes up showing xdg default but you can set
> the
> > apllication you wish to use by clicking on the double arrow on the right
> > side of each option. As for thunar and dropbox, you should be able to set
> > custom action by using the dialog under Edit; configure custom action
> > dialog.
> > As I said, I didn't read the forum thread, but the combination of mimeo
> and
> > configure custom actions in thunar have taken care of my needs on Arch.
> > Myra Nelson
> >
> > --
> > Life's fun when your sick and psychotic!

Robert:

I used these commands to create the zathura.desktop file in
~/.local/share/applications. I had some initial problems with the help
commands because I kept missing the single quote ( ' ) after the command
'zathura %f' 'application/pdf'. I was typing 'zathura %f application/pdf'.
If you need to look up the mime-type do less /etc/mime.types.

[myra at gandalf ~]:mimeo --create zathura.desktop zathura 'zathura %f'
'application/pdf'
[myra at gandalf ~]:mimeo --prefer 'application/pdf' zathura.desktop

mimeo --assoc-help
mimeo --mimeman--help

The above commands will guide you through creating other associations. Now
from a console I can open a pdf file with xdg-open <file.pdf> and it opens
with zathura.

In Thunar you can also set file associations by selecting the file, right
click on properties to bring up the properties dialog, the under the general
tab set the file to open with the application you wish to use. This should
do the trick in Thunar with any file type. As I stated before, you can do
the same thing in Zim.

Hope this helps.

Myra