[openbox] Menu where nothing is selected

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Fri Sep 16 00:08:10 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:

> Alexey>     If the openbox menu called using the keyboard, and the first
> Alexey> item of this menu is the normal item, then the first item is
> Alexey> selected. However, if the first item - submenu, then no item
> Alexey> will be selected. This strange behavior is by design
> Alexey> (openbox/menu.c:473):
>
> ... code snipped ...
>
> Alexey>     This behavior is strange and inconvenient. I see no reason
> Alexey> to submenu has not been chosen. Perhaps this vestige left over
> Alexey> from the time when autoopening delay a submenu not applied when
> Alexey> using the keyboard.
>
> Alexey>     I propose to replace this strange and complex piece of very
> Alexey> simple:
>
> Alexey>             if (!mouse) menu_frame_select_next(frame);
>
> I disagree; I don't want to auto-open the submenu in any case.  Having a
> deeply nested submenu suddenly sprawl across your screen is distracting.
>
> Maybe this should be controlled by a configuration item (or attribute of
> the menu?)

Considering you would have to hit a key to go into the sub menu
anyways, I'd rather just leave it how it is.  You can still go the
submenu with one key, but that is only if you have a hotkey.

So perhaps instead we should have the right arrow open and go into the
first submenu if nothing is selected in the menu.  Then it behaves as
if its selected without having to display it.