[openbox] Status of dcompmgr?

Andrew Gallant jamslam at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:45:52 EDT 2011

> I'd like to think there are a lot of people looking for a lightweight
> compositor, just for some basic eye candy. xcompmgr is a mess, and
> seems unmaintained. The only serious solution to this problem is to
> use Xfce. Their WM's built-in comp manager is a fork of xcompmgr, and
> it's very nice, but for people who don't want to install an entire DE,
> it cannot be used.

I'd say your best alternative is the Cairo Composite Manager [1].
There is also Unagi [2], but I don't think it's as mature as cairo,
but it does seem to be active.

Honestly, I find xcompmgr quite suitable for simple transparency in
daily usage. If xcompmgr started crapping out, I'd probably try Unagi
and then move to Cairo.

(I don't know the status of dcompmgr, but I'm pretty sure it's a
modified form of xcompmgr to support menu transparency in Openbox,
last I heard.)

- Andrew