[openbox] feature suggestion

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 17:25:53 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM, Dana Jansens <dana at orodu.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> You can use a restart action to run anything you'd like.  That
>>> anything could be a script that sets ENV vars and then runs openbox
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Letting --restart take an argument to do the same thing might be cool.
>>
>> You mean the --restart flag currently accepts an argument? If so, then
>
> No I mean it would be cool to make it.
>
>> it does it, of course. (By "runs" openbox again, you mean that it
>> exec's into it, right?)
>
> Yes.
>
>> Cool :)

Dana,

I've been browsing
http://openbox.org/oldwiki/index.php?title=Help:Actions&direction=next&oldid=2410#Restart
and noticed that it seems to imply that we can indeed use "Restart" to
actually restart the program we used to start openbox (in my case, it
sets the environment and a few other things). I tried it and it worked
perfectly. No open window was lost. I created a new testing env variable,
and it was passed to the new openbox (newly launched terminals have it
set).
Maybe I misunderstood when you said it couldn't be done yet? Or did you
mean only the --restart option from CL, not the "Restart" action in
menu.xml/rc.xml? Or is this a new feature?

Anyway, I have now a "Restart" entry in the menu that is really useful
when some configuration element that is "upstream" the openbox binary
changes and I want it loaded without killing the session.

Thanks

Jorge Almeida