[openbox] Window displacement in KDE4/Openbox

Daniel Levine dlev89 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 4 15:50:05 EDT 2011

I like KDE because it's complete. I like Openbox because it's fast and pretty. So I figured, why not use them together, and get a fast, pretty, and complete desktop environment?

Unfortunately, either Openbox or Plasma does not quite like this idea...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/848/snapshot1ky.png/

If I tell KDE to use Openbox instead of KWin as its window manager, Plasma windows get displaced. The calendar, power management panel, and menu all get pulled way up to the top of the screen, and even the "cashew" in the upper right corner gets dragged down the side of the screen.

The funny thing is, if I instead start KWin first and invoke Openbox via 'openbox --replace', this doesn't happen, and everything is normal. But doing that further slows the already sluggish KDE start process; so I'd rather replace KWin fully. Is there a way to do that without running into this behavior?