[openbox] sloppy focus "stealing"

Freddie freddie_signup at gmx.co.uk
Mon May 23 15:35:39 EDT 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011, Anthony Thyssen wrote:

> Actually there are a low of situations where focus fails to follow mouse.
>
> Here are a few known situations....
>
>  *  window mouse was in resizes so mouse is no longer in window
>     The resize is typically caused by key input of some kind.
>     In my case a image display window with shrink image key presses.
>     The focus remains attached to original shrinking window
>     This is sometimes a good thing.
>
>  * Window closers or non-window manager moves of windows.
>
>  * External program (event popup) forces a focus change.
>    Window management tools like xwit, xdotool etc can do this!
>    (again sometimes a good thing, other times not)
>

> Typically when the mouse-focus is wrong it remains wrong until the mouse
> moves across a window border.  As such I find myself 'jiggling' the mouse
> back and forth to recover desired focus.

I believe the intention was to point out that when the mouse moves then
the focus follows it, when the focus moves (window resized/moved/closed by
non-mouse event, focus grabbed by other program) the mouse doesn't follow
it. In that sense the focus always follows the mouse but the mouse doesn't
follow focus.

Greetings,

Freddie