[openbox] sloppy focus "stealing"

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Sun May 22 21:30:33 EDT 2011

On Sat, 21 May 2011 17:21:28 -0700
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:
| On Sat, 21 May 2011 23:51:21 +0200
| Mikael Magnusson <mikachu at gmail.com> wrote:
|
| Ian>  If you feel this way about it, maybe you shouldn't provide the
| Ian> option at all.  Otherwise you'll always have people like me
| Ian> complaining because you're not willing to accept patches to
| Ian> actually make it work.
|
| Mikael> Sorry, when did I say I didn't accept patches?
|
| You said "it's hard to imagine how such a thing could work", which I
| took to mean roughly "I will try hard to find something wrong with any
| patch to implement this."  Was I wrong?
|
| On a more substantive note perhaps, it is true that focus-follows-mouse
| is very different from click-to-focus.  So different that changing a few
| code paths here and there depending on the flag is probably not enough
| to really make it work.

That is true.  As is just how strict the follow mouse is.

For example 'warping mouse' is to my thinking bad idea, though for
keyboard window manage management that is a good thing!

screen sizes are such that loosing track of your mouse pointer is
becomming a very common problem.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>
    Dr Who:  "Aren't you going to say it's bigger on the inside than on
              the outside? Everyone else does."
    Colonel: "Why I should have thought that was quite obvious."
                                 -- Doctor Who, "The Three Doctors"