[openbox] Two x displays (not xinerama) support

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Mon Jul 18 03:20:45 EDT 2011

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 00:27:41 +0100 (BST)
Freddie <freddie_signup at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
| > It's technically possible, but it doesn't mesh well with the wm-spec
| > which openbox follows. Ie, any pagers and panels would be terminally
| > confused about those windows, there is only a single 'which desktop is
| > this window on' property per window, and one global 'which desktop is
| > the user on' property on the root window. For this specific case,
| > maybe you could simply mark all windows on monitor two as 'All
| > Desktops'? Unless you also want to switch virtual desktop on monitor
| > 2, but you didn't say that :).
|
| This is actually the conclusion I've come to. The next problem is finding
| how to mark windows on monitor 2 as omnipresent, as so far I've only come
| across "ToggleOmnipresent", which isn't quite what I want. Am I missing
| an action/property?
|
| As an aside, what do other xinerama users do about setting background
| images? I wanted to set two images, one for each monitor. The only tool
| I've found to allow placing an image at a coordinate is hokum, which
| actually works quite well.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Freddie

I have the same problem, though I have set a windowmanager hot key to
use ToggleOmniPresent.

It would however be nice to be able to just SetOmniPresent, rather than
toggle it.

I suppose a daemon process could be developed that will look at the windows
location and then set the omnipresent properity on the window (what ever
that properity is called).  But then that program also needs to know
how big the individual displays and there location, so it works properly.

basically anything appearing in the second screen area (actually a TV
across the room in my case) should not change with the desktop, but
move with the desktop.

I also had a problem with my monitors on the right side of my displau.
I had to add a test that if my display is larger than 2000 pixels, and
if so position my monitoring panel at a specific location instead of
the far right (on the other display), where I don't want it.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>