[openbox] Two x displays (not xinerama) support

Freddie freddie_signup at gmx.co.uk
Sun Jul 17 07:14:31 EDT 2011

I have two monitors attached to an nvidia card.

As I wanted only a single virtual desktop on my secondary monitor (while I
have multiple virtual desktops on my primary monitor) I opted for separate
x displays rather than twinview/xinerama (plus, xinerama cocks up gdm3).

One issue I have, which I don't know if it's possible to work around, is
that I would like to be able to transfer a window from display:0.0 to
display:0.1. Does anyone know if this is possible? I suppose this is not
openbox specific but I thought I'd ask.

A second solution would be if there's a better way to support two monitors
with some configuration of openbox so that I can switch virtual desktops
on monitor 1 without changing which virtual desktop is displayed on
monitor 2. From my understanding of xinerama this isn't likely.

I'll appreciate any feedback,

Freddie