[openbox] Running KDE apps in Openbox

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Wed Aug 31 11:23:30 EDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 5:44 AM, Piscium <groknok at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 April 2011 10:08, R. Mattes <rm at mh-freiburg.de> wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 09:59:54 +0100, Piscium wrote
>>> But my previous question still stands (though slightly modified):
>>> which options or environment variables should I call kdeinit4 with
>>> for optimal operation of KDE 4 apps? I am not familiar at all with
>>> KDE and just want to try a few apps out in Openbox, that is why I am
>>> asking this.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be much more appropriate to ask this question on a KDE
>> mailing list?
>
> I think you have a point, and I may still do that. I thought I would
> try on this list first because on the KDE list people will probably be
> (and this is just a guess) more familiar with running KDE with the KDE
> window manager. I want to see if it is possible to have KDE apps
> co-exist peacefully with Gnome, XFCE and LXDE apps in Openbox, which
> is sometimes tricky using the default window managers for Gnome and
> KDE.
>
>> BTW, if you really only want to run some KDE applications
>> there seems to be no need at all to run start_kdeinit ... I usually just
>> run KDE apps from the terminal.
>
> Thanks, that was good to know.

Well, nothing is required, but it saves time when you are starting up
your first KDE application.

I found the command you mentioned by reading through the startkde or
whatever it is called script that is run to start a KDE session.  I
imagine they have some other script for kde4 and it may or may not
launch some daemon process to set things up.  It should be done the
same way that they do it.

If you wouldn't mind, a bug report in the bugzilla would help make
sure we come back to this and update that command in the autostart to
something more appropriate for kde4.  Also any information you've
gotten from KDE folks would be of use.

Cheers,
Dana