[openbox] Two x displays (not xinerama) support

Mikael Magnusson mikachu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 23:53:45 EDT 2011

On 9 August 2011 04:11, Anthony Thyssen <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au> wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2011, at 3:34 AM, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
>> You're not, I was just sure there was one, but there isn't :). You
>> could do some silly cludge in the master branch with the If action, to
>> only call the toggle action if it isn't currently omnipresent, but it
>> might be better to simply let you say "All" to the SendToDesktop
>> action. However, if you're already using an applications rule to send
>> a window to monitor 2, just make it omnipresent in that rule
>> obviously. Is it a big problem that you press the key twice and can't
>> tell if you already made it omnipresent or not?
>
> I have looked into using the "If" action, now that it has been added to
> the wiki.
>
> However my version of openbox is v3.4.11.2 from the Fedora repository
> so it is not available to me, and I am loathed to replace the package
> with a personal version.  But looks like I'll need to.

They're so slow, the gentoo livedvd released on sunday already has 3.5 ;)

> The documentation does not list  "All" as a valid <to>..</to> action for
> "SendToDesktop" action!  This was why I did not find it before.
> Perhaps the docs need a small update.

It doesn't list it because it isn't valid.

> Actually the docs previously used <desktop> instead of <to>!
>
> In any case using <to> also does not work, presumably as it is also
> a 'new' action.

for setting an absolute number as in 3.4, but not the other things.

> Hmmm something that is wierd though...
>
> On a window on one desktop...
>  obxprop _NET_WM_DESKTOP
>  _NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 0
> But on a window with 'All Desktops' that becomes
>  obxprop _NET_WM_DESKTOP
>  _NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 4294967295
>
> Is that even a sensible value?

Yes.

> This is also equivelent to toggling OmniDesktop

Yes, omni means all, as you may know :).

> Note this seems to only be an information properity whcih is used by non
> window manager programs. Changing it does not change the windows
> desktop, though it does change which desktop the 'pager' displays it
> even though it isn't really on that desktop!

I suggest you read the icccm and netwm specs if you want to mess with
this stuff, you can't just change the values directly on the window
unless you're the window manager, you have to send a change request to
the root window.

--
Mikael Magnusson