[openbox] Two x displays (not xinerama) support

Dave Foster daf at minuslab.net
Mon Aug 8 07:09:48 EDT 2011

On Jul 18, 2011, at 3:34 AM, Mikael Magnusson wrote:

> On 18 July 2011 01:27, Freddie <freddie_signup at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jul 2011, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
>>>
>>> It's technically possible, but it doesn't mesh well with the wm-spec
>>> which openbox follows. Ie, any pagers and panels would be terminally
>>> confused about those windows, there is only a single 'which desktop is
>>> this window on' property per window, and one global 'which desktop is
>>> the user on' property on the root window. For this specific case,
>>> maybe you could simply mark all windows on monitor two as 'All
>>> Desktops'? Unless you also want to switch virtual desktop on monitor
>>> 2, but you didn't say that :).
>>
>> This is actually the conclusion I've come to. The next problem is finding
>> how to mark windows on monitor 2 as omnipresent, as so far I've only come
>> across "ToggleOmnipresent", which isn't quite what I want. Am I missing an
>> action/property?
>
> You're not, I was just sure there was one, but there isn't :). You
> could do some silly cludge in the master branch with the If action, to
> only call the toggle action if it isn't currently omnipresent, but it
> might be better to simply let you say "All" to the SendToDesktop
> action. However, if you're already using an applications rule to send
> a window to monitor 2, just make it omnipresent in that rule
> obviously. Is it a big problem that you press the key twice and can't
> tell if you already made it omnipresent or not?

Sorry to necromance here, but just wanted to add that once I got Dana interested in such a daemon-like application, and myself started coding one, but did not get very far as X programming scares me.  Maybe Dana can pick it back up again :)

The way I'd envision it working: post-move hook, it checks which monitor it is on, and applies a rule (make omipresent).  Would obviously be beneficial to be generic.

>> As an aside, what do other xinerama users do about setting background
>> images? I wanted to set two images, one for each monitor. The only tool I've
>> found to allow placing an image at a coordinate is hokum, which actually
>> works quite well.
>
> http://projects.l3ib.org/nitrogen/

Cheers for the plug :)
dave