[openbox] ANN: OBHotkey, a command-line tool for setting hotkeys

Eric Bohlman ericbohlman at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 26 20:42:41 EDT 2010

Dave Foster wrote:
> On 5/26/2010 11:27 AM, Eric Bohlman wrote:
>> Yes. OBHotkey has a different aim; it's not intended to be the
>> obconf/obmenu/obapps of key bindings.
> Why don't you elaborate a little more on this aim; to the layman, the
> two look quite similar.

OBHotkey is intended to let you define hotkeys "on the fly" and
potentially do it as part of scripts (e.g. temporarily change key
bindings for a particular environment). Obkey is more about "take some
time to set up your preferred key bindings." It is not, AFAIK, usable
from the command line or a script.

I wouldn't want to use OBHotkey to do the initial setup of key bindings
  on a new installation. And I wouldn't want to fire up Obkey just to
add a temporary hotkey for a program I expect to be using a lot in the
next hour. I could see using both of them for different purposes.

Again, OBHotkey isn't a key-binding editor and was never intended to be
one.