[openbox] Openbox and Xrandr - does not detect resolution automatically when maximizing

Pedro Ribeiro pedrib at gmail.com
Wed May 12 15:04:22 EDT 2010

On 12 May 2010 19:48, Dana Jansens <dana at orodu.net> wrote:

> On 2010-05-12, at 2:11 PM, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> this may or may not be a solvable however I think I've hit a bug using
>> openbox and xrandr.
>>
>> I have an external monitor connected to my laptop. When I set the
>> monitor like this:
>>
>> xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output VGA1 --mode 1920x1080
>>
>> everything works correctly.
>>
>> However when I do
>>
>> xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output VGA1 --auto
>>
>> which sets exactly the same 1920x1080 resolution, openbox does not
>> seem to understand the full screen resolution.
>> By this I mean that when I maximize a window, it will only cover the
>> 1280x800 (which is the size of my laptop monitor) and not the whole
>> external screen. If I click and drag on the titlebar, the window then
>> grows to 1920x1080, but I have to do this on every window I try to
>> maximize.
>> Restarting or reconfiguring openbox appears to solve it.
>

> It sounds like a bug but I don't think I really get what is going on clearly.  Let me see if I have this right.
>
> At the start, you have one monitor disabled, and one enabled, set at 1920x1080 with the command:
>
> xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output VGA1 --mode 1920x1080
>
> Openbox is functioning correctly at this time.  You have maximized windows filling the screen.

Correct.

> Then, you run the command:
>
> xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output VGA1 --auto
>
> which does not change the screen resolution, but maximized windows are shrunk immediately to 1280x800 (the size of the disabled screen).
>

> Then, reconfiguring Openbox returns the maximized windows to their original size of 1920x1080.
>

> Is this what you are experiencing, or is it slightly different?

Actually I explained incorrectly. The first command works correctly as
I noted. Lets assume that then I go back to using only LVDS1 (my
internal LCD screen) and disable the external output.

If I do
xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --output VGA1 --auto

The screen gets mirrored on both monitors, although maximized windows
will only cover 1280x800 of the external monitor. I guess this is
expected, since its being mirrored although at different resolutions,
so definitely not a bug in this case.

However, if after the command above I do
xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output VGA1 --auto

Openbox still thinks that my internal monitor is on, and maximized
windows will only cover 1280x800 of the external screen. If I click
and drag the window title, it suddenly grows to fill the whole screen.

> And have you compiled Openbox yourself?  What version is it?  Etc..

Its 3.4.11.1 from Debian testing.