[openbox] Workpaces per Display (XRandR awareness?)

Lennart Sauerbeck lists at lennart.sauerbeck.org
Mon Mar 22 06:27:02 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I ran into some trouble with my favourite windowmanager openbox these days.

My old setup had two X screens for my two displays and so I ran two
instances of openbox for every screen. This resulted in a separate set
of workspaces on each display, which I've grown quite fond of.

I recently switched graphic card drivers and the new ones only work with
XRandR. So there is only one X screen for my two displays. While openbox
works great with the virtual desktop which spans across both displays I
only get one set of big workspaces.

So here are my questions:
 * Is there any way in the current openbox release to get separate
workspaces for each display based on the XRandR approach?

 * If not, is this a planned feature for an upcoming release?

 * If not, what would need to be done in order to implement this feature
(other WMs do it eg. awesome and XMonad)?

Regards,
Lennart Sauerbeck