[openbox] dead keys

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 18:24:56 EDT 2010

I've been trying to migrate from KDE to OpenBox and I'm having
troubles with terminal emulators. I launch xterm from the menu or from
a shortcut. Dead keys are not working right: for example, pressing
acute+a shoud give á (a-acute); but I have to press "a" twice for the
output to appear.  Using urxvt is even worse; no dead keys at all.
Now, this is the really weird thing: if I launch an xterm from the CLI
(that is, from the badly behaved xterm window), a new xterm window
pops up in which dead keys behave as they should! Same for urxvt.
I use xmodmap (from the openbox autostart script) to customize my
keyboard. I know it works (other customized stuff besides dead keys
works as expected, even in the initial, badly behaved, xterm window).

Thanks for any hint...

Jorge Almeida