[openbox] OpenBox and Opera and Flash

vlad vla at uni-bonn.de
Wed Jul 7 04:21:46 EDT 2010

Hello list,

I have noticed some strange behaviour of Opera on Openbox related to
Flash (yes, the Adobe one) and sometime to textfield input.
First I thought it was an Opera problem. I had it some time with 10.10,
but then I switched to Opera-devel (10.60) and I thought all the time it
was Opera's fault. I also described this on Opera's comment site:
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/06/25/unix-fixes-stabillity-and-more-approaching-10-60-final?startidx=50#comment32507092
and filed a bug report.
The problem is following:
I start youtube or another flash-driven site. I want to click inside the
flash window. Sometimes I can do this once or even twice and use the
controls of this window, but then the window "locks", so I cannot
click any other flash control. This happens mostly with grooveshark.com,
but also with the youtube player timebar or sometimes spiegel.de/video
or similar sites.
As I said, I thought it was an Opera problem, and I was astonished
that almost everyone at Opera ignores this problem or that I'm the only
one having this. But then someone said this prob isn't existent on DEs.
I've tried KDE and that's true. The flash window focus seems to work
correctly. I can click inside flash windows more than one time,
most of the controls work fine/as expected, etc.
I noticed a similar thing with textfield input. When I try to fill out a
textfield, sometimes I cannot directly get focus on it. I have to change
to other window and then back to Opera's.
I don't know how this could be related to OpenBox, but I tried KDE and
these two things definitely weren't present there. Also flash works fine
in other browsers (tried ff3 and chromium) on Opnebox.
I am using Openbox 3.4.11.2 on Archlinux with "Opera 10.60 Internal Build 6386 for Linux"
- the last stable one.

Vlad