[openbox] problem in cygwin/XWin

Knute knuteh at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 9 07:52:27 EST 2010

--- On Tue, 2/9/10, Hom Nath Gharti <hng.email at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Hom Nath Gharti <hng.email at gmail.com>
> Subject: [openbox] problem in cygwin/XWin
> To: openbox at icculus.org
> Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2010, 2:26 AM
> Dear all,
>
> When I start xwin I get the black screen (I think this the
> main
> problem). Then I try openbox I see nothing. If I open some
> application, e.g., xterm, it appears fine and works nice.
> But the
> problem is -- when I minimize xterm or any applications it
> disappears
> due to the black screen, and I cannot retrieve that
> application.
>
> I know this is the cygwin/xwin problem, but I was wondering
> if there
> is a way in openbox to set the background (e.g., as in the
> waker where
> it set own background). I also attach my XWin.0.log, in
> case somebody
> have hints.

Openbox is designed as a window manager.  That means that it manages windows.  It does not set backgrounds.   There are other programs that can do that (feh, habak, xsetroot, hsetroot, etc...).

Openbox DOES have the capabililty of starting these programs when it starts though.  That capability is located in a file that is located in /home/(your user name)/.config/openbox/autostart.sh.   Put programs that you want to start in that file, and they will start when you start openbox.  It uses the same syntax as your ~/.xinitrc file.  For details check the openbox.org websites wiki on the autostart.sh file.

But from what you have described, it appears as though openbox is acting normally.   FYI, to retrieve a minimized program, you can use <Alt><Tab>.

HTH,
Knute