[openbox] Desktop change + active window change does not always work

Andreas Fink andreas.fink85 at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 18 04:32:21 EST 2010

Hello,

I'm a developer of tint2 and have a question to desktop change with active window change.
I have task1 and task2 on desktop1. task3 is on desktop2. task1 is the active window. Changing to desktop2 will set task3 as active window. So far so good. Now I click in tint2 on task2, which sends first _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP to change the desktop followed by _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW to set task2 as active window. However there seems to be a race condition, since sometimes I have task2 as window on top, but task1 is the active window.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What's wrong here? Does tint2 need to send more than these two messages? Does tint2 need to set some time, when the message was sent (it currently sends the messages with CurrentTime)?

Best to reproduce is with a huge application, which needs some time to map (I can reproduce it best with wine applications as task1)
Version: Openbox 3.4.11.2

Regards
Andreas