[openbox] Req: Make autostart less awkward

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Mon Aug 9 00:51:22 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Anthony Thyssen
<A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 08:47:54 +0100
> Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> | On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 17:08:01 -0700
> | Dana Jansens <dana at orodu.net> wrote:
> |
> | > Hi MD,

> | > Good news.. this is already the case in our under-development version
> | > of Openbox.  I've set it up with two scripts for autostart - one for
> | > setting env variables (which is why autostart runs before openbox in
> | > the first place) and one for running applications after openbox has
> | > started.
> | >
> | > Thanks for your input. Cheers,
> | > Dana
> |
> | I'm very pleased to read this. It is something that has cause me
> | problems in the past.
> |

> It would be a lot better to tie the client startup to that of openbox.
> Currently I have openbox being started by gnome (as it window manager)
> and also having gnome run a personal client start up script.
>
> I much prefer openbox to do that.

Well if you're running gnome on login, then it provides autostart
stuff and there is no need to duplicate efforts.  The autostart stuff
was created as a lightweight "alternative" to a session manager, of
sorts.

> But you would have to document exactly when a 'poststart' script is
> executed.
>
> Does it run it after a -restart or -reconfigure
>
> That is could the script be run multiple times during a single session
> in some situations?
>
> If that is true then you can't use the script a auto-launch other
> client applications (not without checks for the client already running)
> It would only be suitable to tweeking the system afetr openbox runs.
>
> In other words some documentation on what you can and can not use it for
> is also a good thing to include.

And all of this is a good reason why its better to keep it simple and
enable it from openbox-session, and let the DE take care of if
otherwise..

- Dana