[openbox] always on top window stays on top of the dock?

openbox at cstuck.ath.cx openbox at cstuck.ath.cx
Mon Apr 12 15:15:32 EDT 2010

Hi,

I recently answered to one of my threads but forgot to send it to the whole mailing list.
It may cover your concern so I just paste it in here: (Thread: openbox vs. fluxbox)

[...]
Layers

Fluxbox has more Layers then openbox. I do not remember exactly their names, but basically there is a "normal" one, a "higher" and "lower" and
+additinally to that something like "top" and "bottom"
Which is nice when you want a window to be placed over "everything" at all times, but also want some to be above others without putting them to the
+background...
Hm, might sound a little confusing right now, but it's very useful to me.

I had a brief look at layer.c in openbox/actions/ and it seemed to me that the functions sending windows to the layers just set an option to 0/1/-1
I don't know if one could just add 2/-2 to that or even let this the user configure similar to desktops? So far I could find a section in
+openbox/client.c in
static ObAppSettings *client_get_settings_state(ObClient *self)
that just sets self->below and self-above as boolean.
This does not sound like a very flexible solution but to just add two layers as top and bottom should be not too much effort I guess.

Well, maybe someone has an idea with that...

Christian
---

Directly to your issue. I use the window manager docks and in Openbox Configuration Manager I set Stacking to "Keep dock above other windows" - don't know what entry that would be in the config-file.

So I guess it's the same setting as yours.
I can confirm that the dock will hide behind other windows that are set as always on top.
It would be great to solve that in combination ;)

Christian