[openbox] Lazarus and Openbox

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Thu Apr 1 16:37:29 EDT 2010

On 01/04/10 03:10 PM, Mithat Konar wrote:
> I am having a strange issue with the Lazarus IDE in Openbox in both Ubuntu Karmic and Debian Squeeze. Before I go trying to fully characterize when the problem happens, etc. I thought I'd give a shout to see if this was a known problem in Openbox. The reason I think it's an issue with Openbox is that I do not have this problem in Fluxbox, IceWM, or GNOME.
>
> In brief: Lazarus creates a whole bunch of windows during a session (ala the GIMP). The Menu Editor is a window that gets opened when, surprise!, you want to edit your app's menus. The problem is that under some conditions the Menu Editor window remains at the bottom of the window stack no matter what I do. Clicking on the Menu Editor item in the taskbar (fbpanel) brings some Lazarus windows to the top, but the Menu Editor remains on the bottom. The taskbar shows that the Menu Editor is being iconified and deiconified (with '[' and ']' characters). Even when I move other windows out of the way and click on the Menu Editor's titlebar, it remains on the bottom. Closing the Menu Editor and reopening does not help.
>
> So, two questions:
>
> 1) Does this behavior seem familiar to anyone?

Sounds like the app is reporting everything else as a child of that
window, but maybe it's a bug and their relationships are being
interpreted wrong.  It is definitely something Openbox-specific though.
> 2) What kind of info would be the most helpful in debugging it?

1. Open a bug report in the bugzilla, and
2. Provide precise steps for me to reproduce the bug.  From there I can
see what the issue is at least.

Thanks,
Dana