[openbox] <application> in rc.xml

Mikael Magnusson mikachu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 07:32:09 EDT 2009

2009/9/2 Freddie <freddie_signup at gmx.co.uk>:
> I realise this is a VERY simple question but I'm looking for help in getting
> an <application> tag working. I've a number of these that are working fine
> but I have one with which I'm having issues.
>
>    <application class="Iceweasel">
>      <desktop>3</desktop>
>      <maximized>yes</maximized>
>      <focus>no</focus>
>    </application>
>
> $ xprop WM_CLASS
> WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "Iceweasel"
>
> I've tried it with name="Navigator" and with both name and class specified
> with no luck. What is it that I've stuffed up?

Probably nothing. Firefox is notorious for breaking standards (in X at
least), I've had
some reports of it working if you try things like Firefox* or so. In
your case it might be
Iceweasel* but I would try both. In 3.4.8-rc1 with --debug, the name
and class as they
were when the window mapped (which is what openbox acts on, and the
standards say
WM_CLASS must not be changed for mapped windows) are printed. [1]

--
Mikael Magnusson

[1] http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-4.html#s-4.1.2.5
"This property must be present when the window leaves the Withdrawn
state and may be changed only while the window is in the Withdrawn
state."