[openbox] Number of desktops

Philip Newborough corenominal at corenominal.org
Sat Oct 31 11:24:40 EDT 2009

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 08:19:24 -0700
Wai Yan Pong <wypong00 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I use openbox as the window manager on a Ubtuntu machine.
> Recently, I have upgraded to Ubtuntu 9.10 but I cannot set the number
> of desktops via rc.xml anymore. The setting is 4 desktops it worked
> fine with Ubuntu 9:04
> Now everytime I login I only get one desktop... Sound like somehow to
> new Ubuntu is overriding what is set by rc.xml. How can I get around
> this problem? Please help.
>
> The openbox version is 3.4.7
> Thanks in advance

Hey :)

For a fix, you could try adding the following to your autostart.sh file:

xprop -root -remove _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS -remove _NET_DESKTOP_NAMES
-remove _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP &

^ mail formatting may break, basically put it all on one line.

As far as I know this issue is caused by Ubuntu's use of the new GDM
rewrite. More information and the source of the above workaround can be
found at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openbox/+bug/435638/comments/7

Hope this helps. :)

  -- Philip