[openbox] Virtual console and back ?

Eric Dedieu papa.eric at free.fr
Mon Mar 23 19:11:28 EDT 2009

Hello,

I run Openbox on ArchLinux, I can switch to a console with
Ctrl-Alt-Fx, but when I try to get back to Openbox (Ctrl-Alt-F7) I get
only the frames on my windows (complete, with the right theme, window
title, etc.), the client area is black, and the keyboard or mouse not
responding except Ctrl-Alt-Fx (still) or Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

The question is: should it work ?

ps shows that Xorg is in stopped state (state "Ss+" exactly), so maybe
switching back to its tty does not restart it, only the WM is running ?
How to restart X when switching back to it ?

Actually I pressed Ctrl-Alt-F2 by mistake... I know I can disable it
but I'd like to keep this possible in case of X freezing... Yet I'd
appreciate if I could recover from such a mistake !! :^)

Thanks for any idea,
Eric