[openbox] Desktop Menu Bar of Pop-Up

John openbox at jelmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:51:16 EDT 2009

I am not preferable to pypanel; it's just one of many I started using
for no reason except to see if I liked it. It's funny how they all have
their disadvantages.

I did try fbpanel a while ago but it reminded me too much of Windows. I
have just tried it again after your suggestion and I have it working but
I can't see if it is possible to change the look of the menus. They are
too grey and windows-like ;)

I've got your solution for pypanel working also. I like this because
it's the same menu config as openbox itself. I can't see in pypanel how
to make a laucher that is a text label rather than an icon. I don't
really want to have to go creating icons with text in them.

Had a quick look also at xfce4-panel and it looks a bit "gnomey". I
don't have a menu option in the "add items to the panel" and I don't
know where to download one from. I've seen references to
xfce4-panel-menu-plugin but can't find a download for Ubuntu Hardy.

Thanks Delcides for your suggestions; out of these I think the fbpanel
is going to be best but I wish I could change it from the default grey.
Perhaps I have missed a configuration option to do this ?

Thanks again for your help.