[openbox] ObTheme

Dave Foster daf at minuslab.net
Fri Jun 12 14:51:53 EDT 2009

Xyne wrote:
> Hi dave,
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to step on any toes. I didn't find anything about
> a GUI editor before I started other than a mention of one without a
> link on some forum (Ubuntu, maybe) and that post seemed to indicate
> that it was old and not working (not sure if it was referring to yours
> or something else). I actually didn't even set out to create a full
> theme editor... I just started playing around with pygtk to make a
> widget for the text shadow string to see if I could... then three days
> and some blurry vision later I ended up with ObTheme.

Hey no worries!  It's great other people see the need for this too.  I
got a bit lazy with mine and stopped development when other fun things
to develop were going on.  The "other" theme editor you've seen
references to was an old python gtk program for openbox version 2 which
was a lot different than version 3.
> I'm willing but probably not able. Using the OB libs directly for
> parsing and previews definitely makes sense and I'll try to look into
> that but I haven't learned C or C++ and although they're on my "to
> learn" list, I don't think I'll get to a point which enables me to code
> in them any time soon. I might also try to figure out how to create
> bindings for Python as I still don't know how to do that.

Cool, after looking at yours I'm not sure where the overall merge point
would be, so maybe I'll plod along and continue making it at some point,
I just don't want to make you feel like I'm trying to one up your effort
or anything.  It's a great thing you've done for the community and
hopefully we'll get a burst of new themes out of it.
> Sorry about the name. It just seemed to be the most logical. Do you
> want me to change it or is it ok with you if I keep "ObTheme"?

No problem, keep it, I'll change mine to something else.  Most of my
project names are totally random anyway, it would fit in more with the
rest of my projects :)

Sorry for the totally late reply, I'm not always great with keeping up
on emails.

thanks again,
dave