[openbox] XEmacs has lost its icons, help get them back, please

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Wed Jan 28 10:07:32 EST 2009

Hi.

2009/1/27 Henry S. Thompson <ht at inf.ed.ac.uk>:

> Krzysztof Kotlenga writes:
>
>> Reminder:
>> Run XEmacs - blah, openbox icon.
>> xprop -remove _NET_WM_ICON
>> Ta-da, here it is.
>
> Thanks!  That's a workaround I can live with.
>
> I will also be happy to debug/fix/feed bug report into xemacs
> dev. group, if you tell me where to look/what to look for/how to
> fix. . .

It's probably a matter of setting the icon hint before mapping the
window instead of afterward.

"Window managers are free to assume convenient values for all fields
of the WM_HINTS property if a window is mapped without one."  And in
this case, Openbox is assuming it doesn't provide an icon through this
mechanism when it is mapped without one.  Thus, it gives it an icon
through the EWMH hints, which overrides the later-appearing icon from
xemacs.  There's some race condition possibilities when a window maps
without an icon, and then quickly sets one afterwards.

Cheers,
Dana