Openbox crashing with 24 bit video

Mithat Konar mithat_konar at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 05:51:07 EST 2009

I am trying to use Openbox in a Qemu-based virtual Debian Lenny install hosted under Win XP3.

If I use the default xorg.conf or manually set the display to 24 bits, Openbox crashes on the first mouse click with the message in .xsession-errors:

ObRender-ERROR **: Your bit depth is currently unhandled

aborting...

If I manually set the display to 16 bits in xorg.conf it works fine. No other WM I've tried has any problem with 24 bit manual or the default xorg.conf.

I am using the Openbox from the Lenny repositories, v. 3.4.7.2-3.

Help?