[openbox] display geometry when resizing with keyboard

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Tue Feb 17 18:05:55 EST 2009

Hi,

2009/2/17 Michael M. Moore <michael at writemoore.net>

> After a long and now regretted layoff, I'm back to using Openbox,
> which seems better than ever.
>
> My question is about one thing I miss from Metacity, which is the
> display of a window's geometry when using the keyboard to resize a
> window.  In Metacity, ALT+F8 allows you to use the arrow keys to
> resize a window left, right, up or down.  I made some keychains in
> Openbox to mimic this behavior, like so:
>
>    <keybind key="A-F8">
>      <keybind key="Left">
>        <action name="ResizeRelative">
>          <left>10</left>
>        </action>
>      </keybind>
>      <keybind key="Right">
>        <action name="ResizeRelative">
>          <right>10</right>
>        </action>
>      </keybind>
>      <keybind key="Up">
>        <action name="ResizeRelative">
>          <top>10</top>
>        </action>
>      </keybind>
>      <keybind key="Down">
>        <action name="ResizeRelative">
>          <bottom>10</bottom>
>
> This works, except I don't get the geometry display and I don't know
> how to enable it.  I get the geometry when I use the mouse to resize
> the window (by grabbing a corner and dragging).  Is it possible to get
> the geometry when resizing with the keyboard, or are keychains not the
> best method to use to accomplish keyboard-driven window resizing?
> (I'm not wedded to the A-F8-arrow method, I just set it up that way
> because it's what I was used to.)

I think you are probably looking for these actions to bind to keys.
They are also available from the client (titlebar) menu.

http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Help:Actions#Move
http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Help:Actions#Resize

You can use shift/control/alt modifiers to change how the window is
being moved/resized with the keyboard. I forget specific combinations
and they don't seem to be written down in the wiki right now.

Cheers,
Dana