[openbox] [RELEASE] Openbox 3.4.9 released

Alexey Korop akorop at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 17:41:26 EST 2009

Dana Jansens wrote:
>>> And lastly, Openbox menus should be a little more friendly now, as
>>> submenus do not hide immediately anymore, allowing you to skip across
>>> items in a menu in order to reach the submenu.
>>>
>> I don't get it...
>> What changed actually? Is there a new option to delay submenus?
>> I see now change in the hide behaviour of submenus.
>
> There isnt a new option, as it uses the submenu show delay.

     IMHO it is a bad decision.
     The task of the submenu show delay is to avoid submenus blinking
during vertical cursor movement inside one menu, hence the submenu show
delay must be a bit greater than the time of mouse hover ONE menu item.
     The task of the submenu hide delay is to avoid unwanted submenu
hiding during diagonal mouse movement from parent menu item to the
desired submenu item. During this movement mouse may run across several
parent menu items, hence the submenu hide delay must be a bit greater
than the time of mouse hover SEVERAL menu items.
     For me the optimal values are 200 ms show delay and 700 ms hide delay.