[openbox] Submenu hide delay

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Mon Dec 21 09:29:48 EST 2009

Hello,

2009/12/19 Alexey Korop <akorop at gmail.com>:
> 18 Dec 2009 Dana Jansens wrote
>> And lastly, Openbox menus should be a little more friendly now, as
>> submenus do not hide immediately anymore, allowing you to skip across
>> items in a menu in order to reach the submenu.
>
>   Sorry, but Your implementation (that is not based on the my patch) not is
> good.
>   The sense of this feature is a possibility of a "diagonal" mouse movement
> from parent menu entry to the desired submenu entry across one or more
> another parent menu entries. But in Your implementation in this case the
> submenu after delay is hided regardless the pointer is in this submenu. This
> is a shocking behavior.
>   What is more, in some case after "diagonal" mouse movement Openbox crash.

I'm not sure how to reproduce these problems at all, so I'd definitely
appreciate if you could comment in the bug tracker about how to do so.
 The submenu stays open for me once I enter it, and I haven't seen any
crash.

>   And it is strange that the submenu show delay is configurable but the
> submenu hide delay is hard coded as equal to the submenu show delay.

I hate adding new options to the config if I don't need to, and basing
it off the show delay seems pretty reasonable to me.  It's not hard
coded.. it's just sharing the config value.  Perhaps it would make
sense to make it double the show delay tho, I'll try that out.

>   I think that it is a bad idea to include this strange and untested feature
> to the 3.4.x branch.
>
> ---------
>
>   What useful I may do now?

Please let me know how to reproduce problems with it in the bug
tracker, so I can follow up and correct them.

Thanks,
Dana