[openbox] keybind problem

Tapio Pitkäranta tapio.m.pitkaranta at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 12:52:56 EST 2009

> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 06:07:28 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Graham Breed <x31equsenet at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [openbox] keybind problem
>
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 20:42:48 +0200, Tapio Pitkäranta wrote:
>
> > I'm having trouble setting keybinds in rc.xml. Specifically I'm trying
> > to control my mpd server with the multimedia keys. This is what I tried
> > to add in rc.xml:
> >
> > <keybind key="XF86AudioPlay">
> >    <action name="Execute">
> >       <execute>mpc toggle</execute>
> >    </action>
> > </keybind>
> >
> > Nothing happens. Typing the command in terminal works. Now, the funny
> > thing is that any other command besides mpc works just fine, for
> > example:
>
> I don't have mpc so I can't test it.  Maybe it depends on an environment
> variable that isn't set when the key bindings are executed.  You could
> try looking for an error message in a log file somewhere.
>

>                            Graham

Thanks that helped. I'm using zsh instead of bash and when I start openbox
through gdm, my .bashrc isn't executed, and neither is .zshrc, until I start
a terminal emulator. The error messages are logged to ~./.xsession-errors.
So as a workaround I added
export MPD_HOST=hostname
to ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh.
Thanks everybody for your input.