[openbox] ~me versus /home/meme

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Mon Aug 24 21:45:28 EDT 2009

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:25:52 -0500
dcarroll <dennis at rubgrp.com> wrote:

| Consider this excerpt from one of my pipe menus:
|
| <execute>
| firefox -new-window http://someremotehost/~me/somewebapp/
| et cetera
|
| Does anybody know how to prevent the tilde (~) from being expanded into
| the pathname of my home directory?

I went though the same problem!!!  The trick is NOT to have a tilde

You can not use a XML escape like &#176; because that is processed before
Openbox parses and expands the tilde.

My current solution is to make it a 'bash' script and substitute
the  command  `printf '\176'`   for the  ~

    bash -c "firefox -new-window 'http://someremotehost/'`printf '\176'`'me/somewebapp/'"

It works but is messy!

However I have been told that the very latest version of OpenBox will
now only expand ~ if proceeded by a space or the start of the string.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>