[openbox] Binding of applications to the desktop

Knute knuteh at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 2 21:12:58 EDT 2009

First off, I KNOW I'm top posting and that certain sensibilities will be touched off, but right now,  I don't care.

Secondly, the "send to desktop" option wasn't what they were looking for, so you can put your screenshots away.

To the origonal poster, and your question of binding a window to a certain desktop.... I'm guessing that you want all, say Firefox windows to come up on desktop 2 or something.

In order to do that, you need to go into the rc.xml (located in ~/.config/openbox) and add a section under applications that would look something like this:

<applications>
   <application class="whatever">
       <desktop>2</desktop>
        .
        .
   </application>
   <application role="something">
      .
      .
   </application>
</applications>

It's well documented in the default rc.xml file.

Knute