[openbox] Set different background images per virtual desktop

Mikael Magnusson lists at bak.och.fr.am
Sun Apr 19 08:43:52 EDT 2009

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Bernhard Stoeckner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can I set different backgrounds depending on the virtual desktop I am
> switching to (without incurring the overhead of applying the background
> in the keybind)?
>
> Regards.

Openbox doesn't have any specific support for it. In fact openbox has no
support for wallpapers at all, but it doesn't use virtual root windows.
This means that when you change desktops, you are still looking at the
same desktop, we just unmapped all the windows on the old desktop and
mapped the ones on the new desktop.

You could have a desktop type window on each desktop that simply displayed
whatever you wanted, and it would have that effect. Note that having that
large images open at all times uses some memory:

You have: 1680*1050*3 bytes
You want: MiB
 	* 5.0468445

If your machine is under some load, those images could be swapped out and
desktop switching would be slowed down.

I'm not aware of any such existing program, and you are maybe the third or
fourth person asking for it ever, so I don't think there is a big demand
for it :)

--
Mikael Magnusson