[openbox] Feature wish: Snap windows to edges when moving them with the mouse

Kai Großjohann kai at emptydomain.de
Fri Sep 12 05:40:17 EDT 2008

Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>> Metacity has a nice feature where you can hold Shift while moving a
>> window with the mouse, and the window will snap to edges (screen edges
>> and other window edges).
>>
>> Openbox has the even nicer feature of MoveToEdge{North,South,East,West},
>> but I think that the mouse-based feature that Metacity has would be a
>> nice complement.
>
> Openbox already has window resistance, which lets you align windows
> with eachother/the screen edge without holding any buttons down... Is
> that not enough?
Metacity has that too (though it could be an attraction rather than a
resistance).  But the feature I'm talking about is different:

Suppose you only have one window (that makes it easier to explain).
Then this window will snap in four positions: each of the four corners.
And to move a window into one of those positions, it is sufficient to
position the mouse pointer in that quadrant of the screen.  (The feature
also makes it impossible to move the window anywhere else but the four
corners.  You have to use the normal move to do that.)

Maybe I'm just clumsy with the mouse, but I appreciate it that I don't
have to come within a couple of pixels of the screen edge, but rather it
is enough to be in the right quadrant of the screen.

Kai