[openbox] Re: need help setting font sizes

Thayer Williams thayer at archlinux.org
Sun Nov 2 18:45:09 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Johan Vromans <jvromans at squirrel.nl> wrote:
> Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> writes:
>
>> Delcides>    Check your DPI by typing into a terminal
>> Delcides>             xrdb -query | grep dpi
>>
>> Oddly, the output is empty on my box.

I prefer to set my DPI within Xorg since it's the top-level
application for the desktop.  However, as mentioned other programs
such as gnome-settings-daemon can override this setting (consequently
I do not use gnome-settings-daemon). I keep the following commented in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf for my own reference.  Your DisplaySize values will
be different unless you are using a 15" WXVGA LCD at 1680x1050.

    # to find: pixel width * 25.4 / dpi and pixel height * 25.4 / dpi
    # dimensions can also be found by shell: 'xrandr --query'  or
'xdpyinfo | grep dimension'
### DisplaySize 330 210  # Xorg/Catalyst probing reports this as the
actual size
### DisplaySize 331 212  # Actual display size in millimeters
(approximately 13.0" x 8.3" )
### DisplaySize 356 222  # 120dpi
### DisplaySize 384 242  # 110dpi
    DisplaySize 427 267  # 100dpi