Openbox XFCE integration problems

parminder gupta gupta.parminder at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 15:21:46 EDT 2008

Hi,

First of all let me say that Openbox3 is an amazing window manager. Per
application setting along with support for multiple monitors practically
blew me away.

But I am having some problems with integrating Openbox with XFCE. I am
running the whole XFCE environment (xfdesktop, xfce4-panel) with xfwm4
replaced with Openbox.

I am having the following issues:

   1. I run Evolution (need to connect to my office email) wrapped in
   Alltray so that it minimizes to the system tray. This works fine with xfwm4,
   but when running under Openbox, trying to minimize Evolution to system tray,
   will not remove the entry from taskbar in xfce4-panel.
   2. I cannot get Conky to play nice with Openbox under XFCE. I have
   tried setting the Conky window (I use the own_window option) type to both
   normal and desktop. When used with window_type=Desktop, conky gets hidden
   when I click anywhere else on the desktop. When used with
   window_type=normal, using the Show_desktop key binding in Openbox causes
   Conky to be minimized as well

I know these issues may not really be related to Openbox, but I am hoping
that someone here has found some solution to these issues.

Thanks,
Parminder