[openbox] Re: I need help

Charles H. Tankersley chtank at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 17:16:56 EDT 2008

When I used the KDE desktop in PCLOS, I could easily set a link (icon) for
any application to the desktop, but when I tried the same in openbox it
would not work. Since my installation of TinyMe (I tested SAM-Linux first)
about a month ago, I have installed a number of applications via Synaptic.
These include QCad, Blender, inkscape, Xtreme, firefox, thunderbird, pysol,
bluefish, and GIMP. For all I cannot find a way to set them on my desktop
nor my tool bar at the bottom. This must be able to be done easily by a
blind or novice person, otherwise I need to use KDE and not openbox. I have
been going through your documentation looking for answers, but I find that
the documentation uses language that I or any of our novice clients would
never understand. We need to give clear examples in texk large enough for
the vision impaired to see and the text must have all acronyms "spelled out"
at least once so that we know for sure what you are talking about. Remember,
the people who will be using openbox on older machines are totally novice,
non-programmers, and are not command line at all.
Yours,
chtank
ote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Charles H. Tankersley <chtank at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Charles H. Tankersley <chtank at gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> > > My name is Charles H. Tankersly, aka chtank. I am a volunteer IRC
> > > Network Administrator and chief web master/developer for
> > > http://www.deepspace2.org, a non-profit network to aid and assist the
> > > elderly and disabled computer users mainstream on the Internet.
> > >
> > > I have been testing TinyMe, a product of PCLinuxOS, for use for the
> > > clients of deepspace.org. TinyMe (and minime), however, use openbox
> for
> > > their desktop. I have been touring your documentation to try and find
> > > ways to "fix" some glitches that will enable the blind, vision
> impaired,
> > > and otherwise disabled users to rely on openbox. One of the problems,
> > > serious problem for the disabled and novice user is that all the
> > > "tutorials" are written in geek. Most of us are not knowledgeable with
> > > programming language nor are the able to sue the command line very
> well.
> > > This is why most are remaining with Windows and avoiding much of what
> > > open source has to offer. Can you please help me, too, since I know
> html
> > > and use the W3C Accessibility standards but not commandline nor any
> > > other programming language. BTW, I am 75 years old and retired from
> > > Engineering as a Principle Mechanical Designer, Parsons Engineering
> > > Corporation, Power and Petrochemical Division. I am not a programmer
> and
> > > was forced to use the computer for my engineering documentation.
> > >
> > > Yours,
> > > Charles H. Tankersley
> > > aka chtank
> > >

> > --
> > chtank
>
>     Ok. How can I help ? Would you mind give an example ?
>
> Regards,
>
>   Delcides.
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe, send a blank email to openbox-unsubscribe at icculus.org