Focus to last window problem

Alan gmane-ob-00 at wilec.net
Wed Feb 13 13:03:37 EST 2008

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:46:54 +0100, Mikael Magnusson wrote:

> On 13/02/2008, Alan
> <gmane-ob-00 at wilec.net> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just switched from fvwm to openbox (version 3.4.5 from debian
>> testing) and configured it to my taste. Almost everything is great,
>> except the focus behaviour.
>>
>> I'm using the following parameters as I want a follow mouse policy.
>>     <focusNew>no</focusNew>
>>     <followMouse>yes</followMouse>
>>     <focusLast>no</focusLast>
>>     <underMouse>yes</underMouse>
>>     <focusDelay>0</focusDelay>
>>     <raiseOnFocus>no</raiseOnFocus>
>>
>> The problem I have is that when I move the pointer outside a window, it
>> keeps the focus until I enter a new window. What I'd like would be to
>> have no more focus when I leave a window until I enter a new one.
>>
>> Is there any solution ?
>
> No. I'm curious, why do you want this? Would you also expect alt-tab to
> warp the mouse pointer into the focused window?

I usually bind Alt-F4 to delete window and Alt-F1 to iconify window.
Quite often, I iconify or delete bunch of windows using the repetition
capability of the keyboard. I know that I have 5 windows under my mouse
pointer, I make a long press on Alt-F1 and all my windows are iconified.
That used to work with fvwm, sawfish and icewm (if I remember well for
the last one). When the mouse is on the root window, no window has the
focus.

The problem with openbox is that the focus then goes to another window
which is not under my mouse pointer, with the nasty effects you can
imagine with a repeat rate of 40 keystrokes/seconds :-) The Alt-F1 key
has an effect near from Windows-D !!

Concerning the ALt-tab functionality, I don't use it very often so I
don't need openbox to move my mouse. But you're right that this may be an
idea to go into.