[3.4.4] Xinerama window placement/per-application settings/moving XMMS

Bjoern Schliessmann chronoss at gmx.de
Sun Feb 10 18:51:02 EST 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm using Openbox on a 2x2 Xinerama setup. I just upgraded to 3.4.4
(Debian backports) from 3.3 (Debian stable) and face the following
problems:

1.
Xinerama window placement has become very problematic. We've got an
application that opens four windows, each on every Xinerama head.
With 3.4.4 Openbox forces three windows to open on the lower left
and one on the upper right ... with 3.3 version, it works as
expected. Is there a way to modify Openbox' window positioning?

2.
Recognisation of windows for per-application settings seems to be
broken. Example: xprop for my app "abcd" shows:

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "my-abcd", "my-abcd"

With Openbox 3.3, the following per-app setting is always applied
successfully:

<application name="my-abcd"> ... </application>

With 3.4.4, this fails. This however does work:

<application name="abcd"> ... </application>

But none of the X resources has the exact value "abcd" -- the
executable's file name is "abcd", though.

But the executable didn't change, it still has WM_CLASS set as
above ... It's reproducible, with the exact same configuration
files and setup. Is there some misunderstanding on my side, or is
this fixed in a more recent version?

3.
With Openbox 3.3, XMMS can't be moved between Xinerama heads at all.
With 3.4.4, I'm only able to move it quite freely on the upper
right and lower left heads; it won't fully go on the other two
heads (I just can't move it over the border fully). Audacity showed
this problem, too. Is it a problem of these applications or of
Openbox?

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #92:

Stale file handle (next time use Tupperware(tm)!)