[openbox] [RELEASE] Openbox 3.4.6 and ObConf 2.0.3

George De Bruin sndchaser at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 14:03:01 EST 2008

Dana Jansens wrote:

>     * Application windows which support the appropriate protocols will
> now show [Not Responding] in their titlebars when the application has
> frozen up. By closing the window while the [Not Responding] message is
> visible, Openbox will kill the window's process, allowing you to kill
> frozen applications without dropping to the command line. If the
> window still won't close after the first try, a further close attempt
> will use kill -9.
As a feature, while this sounds good, it's not the best way to handle
this situation.  Signal 9 (KILL) should only be used as a last resort as
it doesn't give the application any chance to do a graceful exit, and
will result in lost data if there are files open.  There are quite a few
other signals that should be tried before KILL: INT, QUIT, ABRT, TERM,
and STOP should definitely all be tried before KILL as the response to
them may allow a clean exit of the application.  In some cases, CONT,
USR1 and USR2 may even be of benefit, but it is definitely a little less
certain what will happen.

At this point, from the way your description is written, it does sound
like you use TERM first, then resort to KILL.  Personally, I would
prefer to see OpenBox trying: TERM, INT, QUIT, ABRT, STOP, and finally
KILL.  Even if the application doesn't terminate until it is killed,
there is a much better chance that it might does some kind of cleanup in
response to one of the other signals.

// George