Xinerama and application/monitor setting

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Wed Apr 9 07:26:51 EDT 2008

   I'm trying to get my Thunderbird Lightning calendar reminders to come up
on my second monitor, but not having much luck.

   How can I tell if I've set up my X 'correctly'?  I have XINERAMA in the
output of xdpyinfo, and my xorg.conf has:

         Screen      0  "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
         Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 0
         Option      "Xinerama" "on"

   So it *should* be OK.  I have ob set up to normally bring windows up on
the screen under the pointer, and this seems to work as expected:

   <placement>
     <policy>Smart</policy>
     <center>yes</center>
     <monitor>Mouse</monitor>
   </placement>

   .. but commenting the lot of that out doesn't help.  I have, for testing
purposes:

   <applications>
     <application class="XTerm">
       <position>
         <monitor>2</monitor>
       </position>
     </application>
   </applications>

   .. and a key mapped to launch an xterm.  The above achieves nothing, no
matter the value.  I *can* make the specific x/y location work, so it must
be syntactically almost there.

   (For the Thunderbird case, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way
to select by WM_NAME so I'll have to send all TB wnidows to monitor 2, but I
could live with that)

   Failing that, can I run a command from <application>?  I thought I
remember seeing something like that (to do with adding sounds?), but it
looks like not.  If I could, I could use wmctrl to shove the window around
or something.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature