[openbox] [RELEASE] Openbox 3.3.990 (3.4 preview release)

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Tue May 22 16:23:47 EDT 2007

On 5/22/07, Keith W <n4phth4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/21/07, Lucas Hazel <lucas at die.net.au> wrote:
> [snip]
> > I didn't notice that one (as I tend not to minimise windows), but you're
> > right. I suspect it's another conflict with libwnck as minimised
> > windows can be restored from the pinboard.
> >
> > Very strange how it's only affecting GTK apps...
> >
> > --
> > Lucas Hazel <lucas at die.net.au>
>

> Very strange indeed.  But I've made progress, though it still makes
> zero sense to me. :)
>
> I copied the rc.xml to my ~/.config/openbox/ and started changing
> suspicious options one by one.  (Dana, FYI it looks like there's a
> stray closing comment marker just before the end of the stock rc.xml
> in 3.3.991).  The culprit is the AnimateIconify option.  When set to
> yes (the default) we get this weird-ass libwnck/pager/taskbar
> behavior.  When set to no, the pager/taskbar behave as they should.
> weird?  Yes.

The whole application section was supposed to be commented out, you're
right about the extra -->, thanks. I'll try figure out what's
different with the animation on.

> Some other minor issues I'm trying and failing to pinpoint:
> - gkrellm's config options to ignore pager and taskbar are ignored.  I
> bet other apps with similar options behave the same.  However, it will
> ignore pager and taskbar if an appropriate <application> section is
> configured in rc.xml

I'm not sure why, but gkrellm is not actually setting the skip pager
or taskbar hints on its window, when I have it enabled in the
configuration.  The hints are listed in _NET_SUPPORTED so I'm a little
clueless why it isn't setting them at all.

> - When un-minimizing a window via a ROX-Filer pinboard icon the window
> is not focused; maybe this is an old behavior since I don't often use
> the pinboard and my brain's memory cache is about 8kB...
> - Various other focus quirks probably the result of new options I
> haven't figured out yet...

I think we were assuming that windows would be be deiconified and
focused, or would be deiconified with a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW request.  I
guess deiconifying windows should automatically focus them when
<focusNew> is enabled.

Thanks,
Dana