keyboard shortcuts for the root menu

Jonas J Linde jonas at init.se
Fri Jun 29 18:30:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

Thanks for a great window manager.

I was happy to find that the 3.4 version had keyboard shortcut support
for the menus built in so that I could retire my own not quite finished
patch for that purpose. However, I would really like the shortcut
specification feature that is available in the client menu to also be
available in the root menu. And, while I'm at it, I'd prefer to have the
shortcut character rendered with a different color instead of being
underlined.

So, I've made a patch against 3.4.2 that achieves those goals. It allows
underscore ('_') in addition to ampersand ('&') as the character to
specify the shortcut (as excessive use of ampersands gets kind of ugly
in xml). It also adds two configuration options; one boolean <shortcuts>
tag that goes into the <menu> section and one <shortcutColor> tag that
goes into the <theme> section within the <font place="MenuItem"> tag.

If the shortcuts boolean isn't true the root menu won't be parsed for
shortcut specifiers and if the shortcutColor string isn't set
underlining will be used when rendering the shortcuts.

It would be great to get this patch applied to an upcoming version, so
please let me know if there is something I should change to make it
acceptable.

Cheers,
--
Jonas J Linde <jonas at init.se>  http://www.init.se/~jonas/ +46-707-492496