XML madness on pipemenu

Javier Valencia jvalencia at log01.org
Thu Jun 21 07:32:48 EDT 2007

I'm mad right now. The cause => XML, ENTITY, OPENBOX PIPEMENU.

I want to make a simple pipemenu for listing my home directory. It
works great if i don't have strange filenames on my home, but when I
have something like "ñ" (i don't know if you see that char), madness
begins.

First, if I put "ñ" as the entity "&ntilde", openbox will tell me that
entity is not defined.

Second, if I put "<!ENTITY ñ "&ntilde;">", openbox will tell me the
following:

	Entity: line 2: parser error : StartTag: invalid element name
	<!ENTITY ñ "&ntilde;" />

Third, once i got "ñ" to appear in menu (i can't remember how but i
see it once :) ), but then executing something with
<action><execute>... containing "ñ" or &ntilde; don't work.

Why do we have to know all about
XML, encondings, parsing entities, for just coding a small and simple
pipemenu?

It drives me crazy, i'm looking for other *box with pipemenus (if there
is another one).

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but i'm desperate.