[openbox] plugin for render

Benoît Gschwind doth.gschwind at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 19:11:23 EST 2007

Re,

On Dec 19, 2007 7:06 PM, Dave Foster <daf at minuslab.net> wrote:

> So you mean you are making the frame layout a plugin architecture, as
> opposed to the rendering portion of it?

Yes, it's handle frame layout and use libobrender.

> My initial thought of what you said you were doing was around obrender,
> meaning you'd have like a plugin for a cairo backend, xlib backend,
> etc.  The thing that does the low level drawing.

I think your thought was false, I hope to explain it better than I had done.

> What do you see this being used for?  Rearranging the frames?

It will be used for build plugin that change the frame layout.  For example,
this architecture allow the making of plugins that can draw frame with title
at bottom, or a plugins that draw frame with big right/left handle.
My main idea is to do something like theme-engine of GTK, which provide a
way to define how buttons are draw, how scroll bar are draw, etc.

I called this plugin : "frame plugin".  Some feature I would like provide :
 - a frame plugin can use configuration file (provided by theme) : Each
theme say I need this plugin, and provide parameter for this plugin like
colors, size etc...
 - a frame plugin define how shaded windows are draw, how maximized windows
are draw how vertical maximized etc.
 - a frame plugin provide animation for maximization, minimization etc.
 - a frame plugin define layout of menu and draw it.

Rearranging windows is not the current purpose of my plugin architecture.
This plugin have only graphical purpose.

I also don't really get why you don't just put your code somewhere for
> other people to look at.  Even in a partially done state it would be
> helpful for other people to see it.

Because I don't know where.  If you have an idea you are welcome :)

> dave

I hope to make my thought more understandable.

--
benoit gschwind