[openbox] help: tweaking openbox

Tanjeff-Nicolai Moos tanjeff at not-another-server.net
Tue Dec 11 07:32:04 EST 2007

Am Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:18:37 +0100
schrieb muzzle <muzzle at gmail.com>:

>  - ob steals the right-click on the desktop to show its menu, so I
> can't get the context menu on the desktop icons.
I guess you have a mouse shortcut in ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml. See in
section <mouse>, subsection <context name="Desktop"> (or maybe
<context name="root">). There you will likely find a <mousebind
button="Right" action="click"> or something similar. You can change
the button to "A-Right" so that you get the ob menu with
Alt+RightButton. You also can delete the mousebind, of course.

>  - I use focus under mouse and I would like ob to rise a window only
> if I click on the titlebar, is it possible? (currently all I got is
> rise-on-click)
Yes, you can configure that in rc.xml. Make a mousebind in <context
name="titlebar"> and use "Raise" as action. Further remove unwanted
shortcuts from <context name="Client"> as you want.

>  - is there a way to get ob to focus new windows only if they are
> children (popups) of the currently focused window?
I'm not aware of that possibility, but I'm not the ob king ;-)

This were some hints rather than a complete tutorial. All possible
bindings are listet here [1]. The actions which you can perform in each
binding are listet here [2]. Play around with them to get grip on
ob configuration :)

Tanjeff

[1] http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Help:Bindings
[2] http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Help:Actions